On this lightning edition episode Alex and Steffen cover the following news stories:
- Lockheed’s Skunk Works is working on a compact fusion reactor, promising a prototype in 5 years.
- A new study on fracking impacts reveals that drilling into the ground creates seismic activity but in the case of fracking this activity cannot be felt by humans.
- 350.org is pitting “climate warriors” in stone age canoes against coal ships to sabotage modern energy.
- Michael “Hockey Stick” Mann has a new presentation about the performance and state of climate science.
- California is close to finalizing SB4 with additional rules for in state fracking operations.
- Swedish energy giant Vattenfall, which runs major operations in Germany, seeks $6 billion in compensations for the post Fukushima shut down of nuclear power.
- Many environmentalists have embraced more natural gas and horizontal drilling as a viable alternative, but only for as long as it has not been cheap and abundant, which caused them to change their minds and take the exact opposite stance.
- The IEA says will Africa to experience a renewable boom.
- The President continues to deride political opponents via his official media outlets using the smear term “climate change deniers.”
- Whole Foods is implementing a new food labeling system which focuses on environmental buzz words.
As a bonus, Alex and Steffen have a conversation about Shell building an allegedly “renewable” energy solution for a soccer pitch in the Brazilian favela Morro da Mineira, which uses tiles beneath the playing field’s surface that can absorb the kinetic energy of the players.[audio: https://industrialprogress.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Power-Surge-20141016.mp3] Click here to Play or Save this Episode